The purpose of this position is to assist Insurance companies and commercial clients in the processing and adjustment of Marine insurance claims for vessels and cargo.
This is a permanent job with a long-term focus on building a professional career within a global organisation.
- To adjust assigned marine claims, either individually or as part of a team, involving:
- Adjuster visits/inspections/survey of damage/loss and discussion of circumstances of the loss with the insured and other parties
- Preparation of reports to the insurance company/client in a timely manner to summarise the cause, nature and extent of the loss
- Oversight of any recoveries, adjustment of the loss and timely settlement of claims
- Effectively manage a significant file load and deliver a high standard of professional work at all times.
- Achieve individual performance targets and to contribute to the overall goals of the branch.
- Develop professional relationships with insurers and brokers as well as wider networks and relationships within the industry
- Deliver expected levels of customer service
- Participate in ongoing training and developmental opportunities and mentoring programmes, thus contributing to the ongoing development of skills in the team.
Qualifications and Experience:
Applicants will ideally have a merchant marine or maritime background, having served at sea, perhaps in a deck officer or senior engineering position but now seeking a role ashore.
Equally, applicants may come from a ship building / survey and inspection environment with specialist knowledge about hulls and ship construction and now seeking to take a broader view.
Whilst we are open minded to look at anyone bringing relevant sector experience and the right personal qualities, we would ideally appoint someone who has worked in comparable markets to that of NZ, such as the UK, Australia or South Africa.
Tertiary level (or equivalent) qualifications in relevant disciplines would also be preferred.
This may be your first exposure to the world of insurance and underwriting, and of course appropriate training will be provided.
- A proven level of technical expertise, knowledgeable in your chosen field
- Confident and personable demeanour, you’ll be comfortable when dealing with people at all levels both politely and effectively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A high standard of both written English, necessary for the creation of concise, factual and cohesive reports
- Absolute personal integrity
- Able to work effectively within a well-defined and proven process
- An inquisitive and open mind to support the investigative aspects of your work to determine the core facts and details
- An empathic and helpful approach which will help you work supportively with people sometimes facing periods of stress following an incident
- A readiness and humility to handle any job that comes your way, large or small
- Effective computer skills (primarily Word and Excel)
- Salary is negotiable according to expertise and background
- Reimbursement of own vehicle running expenses for business use at scale rate
- Mobile Phone
The Company is a global claims management service enterprise with a 100-year track record.
The specialist Marine team provides survey and loss adjusting services to insurance companies, brokers, owners, lawyers, shipping companies, freight forwarders, and road and rail transport operators. It has the expertise to handle all marine survey and adjusting needs, including hull, machinery, or cargo (break bulk, containers, bulk cargo or liquids), on yachts, launches, fishing boats, charter vessels, cargo ships, barges, tugs or super yachts.
The surveyors provide professional services in marine hull, cargo, builder's risks, carrier's liability, litigation, valuation, marine consultancy, and recovery work.
To apply for this role, contact Rob Everall via email@example.com today, or call on 021 996 796 for a confidential chat.
Please submit a detailed CV and a covering letter to align yourself with the requirements of the job.