Summary of Job Role:
- New engine installation and rigging in both new and used boats, including engine instrumentation packages, ancillary marine systems and electronics
- Two- and Four-stroke Outboard motor and petrol inboard engine servicing and repairs
- Fault diagnosis, including use of computerised ‘plug in and play’ diagnostic systems
- Customer service, both on the phone and face-to-face
- Booking in new work and oversight of the workshop
- Leading the workshop team – all aspects of staff management, including job allocation and organising training and development as required (inc. apprentice)
- Trailer launch/recovery and sea trials of customer vessels
Required Qualifications and Background Experience sought:
- Trade Qualified (NZ or recognised overseas equivalent) as a Marine Technician / Mechanic
- Marine sector experience (not less than three years) with a main brand in a busy workshop, working in an autonomous role as outlined above, ideally in a supervisory role (but if this would be your first step towards leadership, don’t be put off about applying)
- Experienced in installation of new product into new and used boats – this includes peripheral equipment, such as marine electrics/electronics, windlasses, hydraulics, trailers, and so on.
- Confident with parts identification and ordering from suppliers
- Computer literate (Windows 7 -10) for use of company email and on-line systems
- ‘Boatie’ preferred, ideally with some relevant qualifications (e.g. NZ Day Skipper or better) but must have boat launching/recovery experience and confident on-water abilities on craft of up to 10m in length
- Full NZ Driver’s License and experience in towing and manoeuvring trailer boats
- You will be required to provide your own standard workshop tools
Applicants for this position should ideally have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa in order to be considered.
- Methodical and disciplined approach to work according to The Boat Place systems and manufacturer procedures and guidelines
- Keen focus on the delivery of excellent customer service
- Able to act autonomously and apply sound initiative
- Meticulous focus on detail, including gathering and recording information for writing technical reports and completing job cards
- Confident and personable manner with the skills to communicate effectively with customers and management
- Team player
- Competitive, keen and driven to gaining further skills and knowledge in the industry
- Appetite for responsibility, results and success
- Adaptable and able to juggle shifting priorities across the team in order to get the job done
- Negotiable package to recognise your capabilities and potential
- Immediate start
Further details about working hours and remuneration will be provided to shortlisted candidates
Full factory training will be provided after commencement of employment and must be completed.
Additional skills you may learn at the workshop:
- Welding MIG/TIG - stainless, aluminium and steel
- Enhanced diagnostic skills using upmarket technology
- Using the dyno facility for tuning, diagnostics, mapping and information gathering
- Lathe work
- Metal spraying
There is the potential for this to be more than just ‘a job’, with the longer-term potential of becoming 2ic to the owner.
This would be an ideal opportunity if you’re in search of the next step in your career and want to leverage the best from your trade-proven marine skills and experience, in a location that offers the potential for genuine ‘life/work’ balance.
The Boat Place Tauranga Ltd is a busy marine sales and service business.
Holding dealer agencies to supply and fit Evinrude and Tohatsu outboard engines, it is fully equipped with upmarket diagnostic equipment to be able to support all brands of engines. The company also features Stacer aluminium boats.
Based in the Sulphur Point marine community in Tauranga (Bay of Plenty), just metres away from the boat ramp, this is an ideal location to support the local marine community. Tauranga is enjoying significant growth, offering an attractive alternative to Auckland.
Please forward your CV to Rob Everall at email@example.com or call today on 021 996 796 to get more information about this exciting opportunity.