Objective of the Role:
We are recruiting for a key mechanic role in the small maintenance team that keeps the Encounter Kaikoura fleet running. It’s goal is to minimise downtime and deliver cost efficiencies by providing proactive high-level in house support for all maintenance requirements across the vessel fleet, plus passenger support vehicles and other auxiliary equipment.
There are also occasions where the role will include operational support and fuelling and preparation of the vessels ready for departure.
Succession planning means that whoever is appointed will be working to assume the role of Maintenance Manager in due course.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The fleet comprises of four diesel-powered vessels, one outboard powered vessel, plus buses, tractors and commercial vehicles. This role is charged with ensuring their safe and operational condition, and ongoing compliance with Maritime Safety Authority of New Zealand requirements.
This means working within the PMS to deliver preventative and timely maintenance but also respond swiftly to breakdowns or issues which compromise any vehicle’s safe operability for customers and staff.
Qualifications and Experience sought:
Applicants need to be a qualified and experienced tradesperson in one or more of the following trades: Automotive mechanic, Diesel fitter/mechanic or Marine engineer/fitter.
- Have 5 years or more post-qualifying experience
- Bring a proven workshop track record, along with a commitment to carry out work at a consistently high standard, displaying a high level of detail and diligent record keeping
- Possess a full NZ drivers licence (considered essential)
- Ideally bring practical hands on experience in any/all of:
- driving heavy machinery and tractors;
- welding and light fabrication (aluminium, stainless steel and mild steel);
- electrical work with 12/24v DC systems.
Personal Attributes and Qualities sought:
- Positive attitude
- Ability to multitask in an environment with changeable priorities and demanding deadlines
- Self-motivated, demonstrating a strong work ethic and an ability to work independently
- Team orientation with a flexible attitude to getting the job done and attending to priorities
- Effective communication skills
- Calm and unflappable approach, always mindful of being an ambassador for the company
- Proactive focus on effective planning and safety in all regards
- Good level of health, fitness and stamina for a physically demanding job
- Willing to be subject to a zero tolerance Drug & Alcohol Policy
Applicants should ideally have the right of NZ Residency or hold a valid NZ work Visa.
Encounter Kaikoura offers a supportive working environment, with great benefits and an interest in your development and job satisfaction. There is opportunity in this role for further development and progression.
Remuneration reflects individual skill and experience and is negotiable for the right candidate.
It will be a contracted 40-hour work week, although actual hours will range between 40-50 hrs per week, with more hours needed in the high season (Nov-Apr) and fewer in the low season (May-Oct).
Please note, this is a 7-day operation and this role will necessarily include some weekend working and occasionally additional work outside of standard operating hours and so flexibility and willingness in this regard is essential.
The Company - an overview:
Kaikoura is one of the best places in the world both to encounter dusky dolphins in their natural environment, and to view a wide variety of albatross and other seabird species.
Encounter Kaikoura operates boat-based tours to encounter some of the incredible wildlife found in the area. It also has a great cafe and retail store at the operating hub, affording spectacular views of both The Pacific Ocean and The Kaikoura Seaward Mountains.
It is driven by a small, passionate and dedicated team of people, working together to deliver exceptional customer experiences in this world class location, and the team is proud to be recognised as a Qualmark Gold status company.
Please email Rob Everall of Marinejobs.co.nz with your CV and a covering letter aligning your skills and expertise to this role.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 021 996 796 / 09 815 2393 for more background.
Note that any applications to this advert sent in error directly to Encounter Kaikoura will be referred to Marinejobs for processing to ensure parity of consideration of all applicants.