Summary of Job Role:
- Two- and Four-stroke Outboard engine servicing and repairs
- Fault diagnosis, including use of computerised ‘plug in and play’ diagnostic systems
- New engine installation and boat fit out, including engine instrumentation, ancillary systems and electronics
- Customer service, both on the phone and face-to-face
- Booking in new work and overseeing the day-to-day administration of the workshop, such as maintenance of workshop records and job cards, invoicing, etc.
- Capitalising on existing customer opportunities and developing new business to ensure the workshop achieves its performance targets and potential
- Leading the workshop team – all aspects of staff management, including job allocation and organising training and development as required (inc. apprentice)
- Sea trials of customer vessels
- Hands-on work both in the workshop and remotely at the customer location as required
Required Qualifications and Background Experience required:
- Mandatory: Trade Qualified (NZ or recognised overseas equivalent) as Outboard Mechanic / Technician
- New Zealand marine sector experience with a main brand (Mercury preferred, with Mercury training history) in a busy workshop, working in an autonomous job, ideally in a Leading Hand or Service Manager role (but if this would be your first leadership role, don’t be put off)
- A background including boat fit out would be a distinct advantage
- Computer literate for use of company email and on-line systems
- Confident with parts identification and ordering from suppliers
- ‘Boatie’ preferred, ideally with some relevant qualifications (e.g. NZ Day Skipper or better) but must have boat-handling experience on craft of up to 10m in length
- Clean NZ Driver’s License
- Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
- Methodical and disciplined approach to work according to manufacturer procedures and guidelines
- Team leadership skills
- Appetite for results and success
- Keen focus on the delivery of excellent customer service
- Adaptable and able to juggle shifting priorities in order to get the job done
- Excellent communication skills and a confident and personable manner
- Clean and tidy worker who likes to keep the workplace the same way
- Competitive package to recognise career accomplishments and capabilities
- Company Ute
- Mobile Phone
- [Own tools required]
There is the potential for this to be more than just ‘a job’, with the longer-term potential of earning a stake in the business, or perhaps something more.
This would be an ideal opportunity if you’re in search of the next step in your career and want to leverage the best from your trade-proven marine skills and experience, in a location that offers the potential for genuine ‘life/work’ balance.
If you do not feel quite ready to take up a leadership role, but you match the other criteria above and are in search of a workshop position, then please get in touch anyway, we'd be pleased to hear from you.
Thompson Marine Ltd, an appointed Mercury dealership, is a busy marine business with a retail shop and workshop, which repairs and services all brands of motors, as well as carrying out new engine installations. The company also produces ‘Seaboss’ Boats, with much of the fit out and installation work completed in house.
Based moments away from Lake Rotorua, this is a genuine lifestyle location and tourism target in central North Island, well away from the bigger city bustle (but that is still accessible if you want it). The area boasts a huge range of outdoor activities, both on and off the water, and is ideally placed for trailer boat access to the seas lying both west and east.
Please forward your CV to Rob Everall at firstname.lastname@example.org or call today on 021 996 796 to get more information about this exciting opportunity.
With a 10-year track record under Rob Everall, Marinejobs is the only NZ-based recruiter operating exclusively within the marine sector, especially for workshop and trade positions.
We are here to match talent and experience with genuine work and career opportunities.
Visit www.marinejobs.co.nz to review other opportunities currently available.