- Preparing the vessel for daily duties and ensuring the safe operation of all machinery and systems whilst at sea
- Carrying out repairs and maintenance as directed
- Loading and unloading of freight and vehicles
A detailed role profile will be made available to qualified applicants during the early stages of the assessment process.
Start Date: from March 2018
Reports to: Vessel Master
Operational Base: Pine Harbour, Beachlands (Half Moon Bay) or Auckland
- Conducting all required pre- and post-sailing checks to ensure the vessel is fit and prepared for safe daily operations and with all systems and facilities in good order
- Monitoring engines, generators and systems closely during sailing, including maintaining all log and system safety check entries, in order to maintain safe and efficient operation at all times
- Carrying out routine repairs and maintenance as directed by the Master and/or Fleet Engineer
- Conducting safe ship management duties as specified for any given vessel
- Attending to docking/slipway and mooring duties as assigned
- Assisting with passengers, vehicles and freight handling
Core Qualifications and Work Experience:
- Marine Engineering qualification of Class 6 or higher
- ILM Certificate (ranging from NZOW/NZOM depending on routes sailed)
- Minimum of two years’ maritime experience in a comparable role, including carrying out repairs and maintenance
- Experience in general deckhand duties
Essential Professional Skills:
- Basic seamanship
- Proven engineering and technical skills (at sea and in port)
- Ability to pilot the vessel in an emergency
Personal Skills Inventory:
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Able to work under pressure as key member of a small team
- Ability to analyse and resolve problems in a structured and methodical way
Terms and Remuneration:
The hourly rate of pay will be discussed with suitably qualified/experienced applicants early in the dialogue.
The working day commences between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. and may end at 8 p.m.
Vessels operate on a strict 3-days on / 3-days off manning roster, which incorporates scheduled and chartered services within a minimum 40-hr working week.
The Christmas and summer periods are very busy and demanding, when full staff availability is required, and so there is no annual leave in December and January.
Competitive package including medical insurance, full training, ongoing personal development opportunities, a uniform and travel privileges.
Please note: All applicants will be required to provide proof of their qualifications and eligibility to work in New Zealand.
Any appointment will be subject to a satisfactory drug/alcohol test and security check.
The Company and Vessels:
SeaLink Travel Group is dedicated to the operation of a top quality service through its fleet of vessels operating on the Hauraki Gulf, transporting passengers, cars and freight to Waiheke and Great Barrier Islands, as well as a commuter service from Pine Harbour.
The fleet of high-speed ‘Clipper’ catamaran commuter ferries covers the Pine Harbour / Auckland CBD route twenty times a day in a little over 30 minutes, with a capacity of up to 99 passengers per journey, depending on vessel. Vessels also offer private charters around the Hauraki Gulf.
Smaller ferries can be solo-operated by the Skipper.
To apply for this role, contact Rob Everall via firstname.lastname@example.org today, or call on 021 996 796 for a confidential chat.
(Any applications submitted directly to the team at SeaLink will be referred to Marinejobs for processing).